Monday, July 16, 2012

Welcome to Real-Time Interactive Environments!

Hey guys, just getting a few house-keeping things out of the way in this first post. Make sure you read it, it's important you do!

First off, I'll shortly be adding some links on the right to the student blogs for both classes I'm tutoring for. If you don't see your blog there, comment on this post to let me know, because if you're not on that list, you won't get marked!

I'll also be pretty strict with how I'm marking attendance and completion of the course's weekly tasks. For an explanation of how I'm doing to be doing things:

- Each week, you should upload proof you've completed that week's tasks to your blog. Your proof should usually be in the form of screenshots and images / videos with text explaining what you're showing and what you did. Once you've done made your blog post(s), you should post a comment on my blog with links to your blog posts for that week's task. To keep things organised, each week I'll make a new blog post with a new title (eg, "Week 1", "Week 2", etc), and you can add your blog post links as comments there. Your comments with your post links should be put on my blog no later than the day before class. If you don't do that, you won't get to talk to me for feedback in class the next day, to be fair to the students who did do the work on time.

- As per the course rules, if you are more than 15 minutes late to class, you will be marked absent. More than two absences without special consideration means you will fail the course.

- Class runs for 2 hours, so to be fair for a class of 16 people, that means each student should get 7.5 minutes to talk to me. This isn't much time, so make the most of it! More accurately, I'll check before class to see who put comments on my blog with their blog post links, and divide up 2 hours by however many students that is. So if 12 students get their blog post links to me on time, I'll be talking only to those 12 students the next day, which means 120/12 = 10 minutes each. If some of those students don't turn up to class on time, I'll divide the 120 minutes up by the number of students that did turn up - so if 10 of the 12 students turn up, it'd work out to be 120/10 = 12 minutes each. Long story short, make sure you give me your blog post links on time, make sure you make a post saying "I read your first post, Steve" so I know you read this whole post (yep, I'm sneaky), and make sure you turn up to class on time, and there should be no worries.

- If you want to ask something privately, you can email me any course-related questions at stephen.b.davey@gmail.com. In most cases, to make sure all students can benefit from the information you're asking about, I'll post my reply on the course forum, doing my best to keep you anonymous.

Now I've said all that boring stuff, have fun learning how to use CryEngine, and go nuts with level design! I hope to see some really cool stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment